Re: [OM] IMG: 40,000!

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 40,000!
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 07:52:00 -0400
And if I were starting out today, I would be taking video crews and
lighting equipment to developing countries to shoot commercials for NGOs.
 I'm sure that's exactly what today's market demands, but I'm glad I'm
retiring instead of starting out.  Just give me my Leica and a dark corner
and I'm happy.

Tina

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> That was exactly my point. Without the advent of digital photography and
> the web, the microstock phenomenon would not have happened. The changes are
> mainly on the supply side; on the demand side, magazines still appear (some
> online, not on paper), annual reports are still being published (in fact,
> more than ever, since companies now also do environmental annual reports
> and various other PR stuff), etc. But on the supply side, pictures that are
> good enough for those purposes are available for pennies. This is what has
> changed. It is not about "destroying" a market, it is simply a market shift
> driven by technology.
>
> I have a friend who does high-end advertising photography. He flies around
> the world and photographs famous models on the beaches of Brazil and other
> such locations. The shoots he is involved are veritable productions, with
> stylists, make-up people etc. His world is not affected by microstock, or
> any other stock for that matter.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
> Alicante, Spain
> http://www.frozenlight.eu
> http://www.greatpix.eu
>
> YNWA
>

> On May 15, 2013, at 1:45 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>
> > You forgot to note that the technology is what created the supply.
> >
> > Chuck Norcutt
> >

> > On 5/14/2013 5:33 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> >> As to the change as it affects stock photography, it really has less
> >> to do with technology and everything to do with supply, demand and
> >> greed. As supply has gone up, the demand hasn't kept pace.
> > --
> >

> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com