Re: [OM] Backlash begins against Adobe's subscription-only plan - Comput

From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 21:15:56 -0700
On 5/12/2013 6:48 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> CN writes:
>
> I looked on Adobe's web site
> this morning to verify that CS6 is no longer for sale but noticed that
> PS Elements is.
>

> CS6 in all flavors is still for sale for now--including upgrades.

Their release says that CS6 will continue to be sold and upgraded for bugs, etc.

> It is  harder to find with all the cloud cover though. I bet they have a
> ton of upgrade sales the past few days.

Ah! That's the strategy. They need a sales boost for quarter or year, which all
the panic purchases and upgrades will
provide.

Then they may choose to eventually relent, and everyone who uses it will not be
too upset at the significant price increase.

> I saw some of of the plug ins for Lightroom that seem to
> match a few of those for PS.

The plug-in interface is the same. Only Plug-ins that use PS specific tools
won't then work in LR.

> I had just downloaded the upgrade but had
> been looking at tutorials on the new ACR
> so I could change over easier.  Wonder if it leaves CS5 as is if asked

Yes, no asking involved. Thus has it always been, new versions install
completely separately, and have no effect on
previous versions. I've had at least four installed at once - simple
lazy/forgetfulness..

> and whether that is a good idea?

Purely a personal decision. I have

> Thanks for mentioning the competitors --quite an opportunity for them .
>    I suppose if/when they pull upgrade support for ACR in CS6, one can
> use the Lightroom ?PSE option and send to PS in CS6 to get by for
> awhile.

Perhaps more than awhile. As long as the tools/features in CS6 meet one's
needs, the ACR in the other products will put
out PSD files for CS6.

P.S. Moose