Re: [OM] A Tribute to my Father

Subject: Re: [OM] A Tribute to my Father
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 22:33:53 -0500
On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please remind yourself of this photo first, then read the rest if you're
> so inclined. Thank you.

I lost my dad in 2004.  You have my condolences.  I'm glad he died of
something other than cancer, though that is probably a silly thing to
consider in the scheme of things, but congestive heart failure was
deceiving at times and one could leave things unsaid to the next time until
there was no next time.  You did it right, Paul.  I think if could have
taken as wonderful a portrait of my dad as you did of yours, it would have
made a huge difference to me.

I became an officer in our local Phi Beta Kappa chapter in the course of
the last year.  We inducted 60 new members last Sunday.  It was the first
occasion in over 20 years in which I've needed to wear academic garb.  I
lost my academic gown and doctoral hood in 1993 because of a flood.  My dad
had had a gown and hood from a time when he received an honorary doctorate.
 My brothers thought I should have them after he passed, so I wore them
last Sunday.   I think he would have been happy about that.  There will be
things like that in the future for you, too.  He will never be far from you.

Joel W.