Re: [OM] About nothing at all

Subject: Re: [OM] About nothing at all
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 12:57:02 -0500
On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Bill Pearce <billcpearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> My city is also trying to become more cycle friendly, and I'm not pleased.
> It would seem that riding a cycle causes everyone's IQ to fall
> precipitously, and the riders seem to think they are totally relieved of
> observing the traffic laws. Run red lights? Sure! Go the wrong way on a
> one-way street? Yup! Make unsignaled lane changes where you make a big
> sweeping curve across two or three lanes of traffic in front of moving
> cars?
> Sure, I'm immune from danger. What is it about bicycles?

Couple things, possibly.  There are cyclists who try to integrate with
traffic, not so much obeying traffic rules, but using them to navigate by
their own instincts and wits of survival.  Couriers in NYC are the
inspiration for this.

In my case, I know that in fact I am much safer on roads riding a
motorcycle.  There are still cyclists who use only the roads because they
don't want to be inconvenienced by pedestrians.  Motorists really hate
these guys.

I prefer to be hated by pedestrians.  I figure my odds of survival are
better.  We have many very wide sidewalks whose purpose is to get bicycles
off the busy roads.  If someone gets angry with me, I am usually too far
ahead to notice.  If they want to talk about it, I know the law.

My only beef with pedestrians are the ones who weave all over the walk, who
walk four-abreast, who walk on one side of the sidewalk and let their dogs
walk on the other.  But I just slow down and we all usually figure out how
to share and if I say something pleasant and they respond pleasantly, it's
all very civilized.

Joel W.