Re: [OM] About nothing at all

Subject: Re: [OM] About nothing at all
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 21:00:12 -0500
> stints only lasted about 3 months.  The reasons for commuting to these
> places was very important and I'm glad I did it but 3 months was about
> as much as my wife (and kids) and I could take.  I hope you can figure
> out how to stop the commuting in a reasonable period of time.

We've been doing it for almost two years now. It's not exactly a
peachy setup. There are the occasional issues that come up, but we
deal with it. This is definitely a step worse, but we'll try to adapt
accordingly. One big difference, though, is that I'll have an
apartment there, so the temporary living arrangements where I'm
crashing in a spare bedroom will be over. That's the part that has
been difficult for me is living out of a bag all the time. I enjoy
having my "haven" and that's not been possible. Besides, I know the
family will be out there every chance they get, too. (so I'll have to
keep the place tidy). I think my goal will be to travel with just my
carry-on bag full of electronic toys.

For the past two years, the problem has been that I'm close enough,
but far enough that it really makes for an awkward situation where you
end up debating whether to make one, two or three trips in a week.
There are always those weeks where there's an exception hanging in
there and those exceptions where you are attempting to "do the right
thing". No good deed goes unpunished.

> But definite congratulations on the job.  It must be a big step.

It's a parallel move, for now. (except it's for not even a quarter of
what i currently do). But the potential for advancement is enticing.
I've topped out where I'm at and would need to move to Little Rock.
Besides, once I get in the Denver market, the fluidity of job
opportunities is pretty good and the other ones in town allow for
extensive WFH capabilities. (even this one does, but not for this
specific opportunity). We're perfectly OK with week gone, week home,
rotation. We could do that indefinitely. This setup is for a year and
in the meantime, I'll be finagling for other options--including a
couple that I've been trying to score in an entirely different
industry. My reputation is pretty solid within the company I'm leaving
and we're parting on good terms, making sure that I'm welcome back.

Ultimately, we want to live in Colorado, so this could be the step
getting there, or an opportunity to get it out of our system.

AG