Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 15:46:10 -0500
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PESO:
>

> I have never taken a photo with my cell phone.  I have no idea what photo
> apps do.
>
> Do any of you have any favorite photo apps that I could look up?  Maybe
> I'll just ask the kids to tell me their's!

Tina,

When I first got my iPhone, I downloaded and tried almost every photo app
that wasn't stupid amounts of money.  Most of them got tried once or twice,
and most of them have been relegated to the "meh" pile.

I do use iPhoto from time to time, occasionally snapseed, Camera+ and PS
Express.  But the one that I use most frequently, and with really good
results, is Autostitch.  Most of the panos you see in my gallery are done
on my iPhone through AutoStitch.  I like Autostitch.  If I had to dump all
the photo apps on my iPhone but one, that would be the one I keep.

I tried Hipstamatic when I started, but the "convert my photo to an old,
tired, dirty Instamatic with color-shifted Ektachrome" look wasn't for me.
Apparently, I'm not hip.  Same reason I refuse to use Instagram.

As for video, I use Pinnacle Studio on my iPad for editing.  Works
extremely well.

The secret to smartphone photography is that it's still a camera.  You can
throw all of the crappy filters you want at something - if you don't have
the basics of lighting and composition down, you're going to get crappy
photos with crappy filters.

You guys have seen some of my iPhone shots, and at normal screen
resolutions, you often can't tell (hell, even sometimes I can't tell) if I
shot it with the E-1, the F70, the E-M5 or the iPhone 4S.

However, that's me, and you're talking to a bunch of high school kids who
have friends who all take overblown, poorly-composed, blurry green-and-red
Instagram photos of half of their cat's face.

I would suggest explaining to them that regardless of the tool, photography
basics are the same.  They can try all of the image-distorting apps they
want, but they need to feed the apps with a quality base image.

Paul "Get off of my lawn, you kids!!" Braun.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard