Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Phone Photo Apps
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 12:27:36 -0700
On 5/1/2013 11:10 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> PESO:
>
> I'm talking about photography at the local high school on Friday and it has
> been suggested that, since most kids take photos with their cell phones and
> not cameras, that I include in my talk some of my favorite photo apps for
> the phone.
>
> I have never taken a photo with my cell phone.  I have no idea what photo
> apps do.
>
> Do any of you have any favorite photo apps that I could look up?  Maybe
> I'll just ask the kids to tell me their's!

My suggestion is that you lead with your strength, capturing emotionally
evocative images of people. Think through how
you would explain how you are able to do that, and illustrate with quite a few
of your awesome people shots.

You could also say something brief about how photography has changed
dramatically in terms of tools, materials,
techniques, etc. over it's whole history, but the skills required to make good
images are essentially unchanged. You
could also speak briefly to the way taste in images has varied a great deal, as
well, but not linearly. For example, a
lot of contemporary photography, especially by many young photographers, harks
back to Pictorialism.

If you then admit to complete lack of knowledge of 'phone/tablet cameras and
apps, you are free to talk about your own
equipment and techniques, especially film, mentioning how it is making a
comeback with many young photographers, having
already suggested to them that they think about how your experience and success
with the methods, equipment and
materials of your generation might inform their work with those of theirs.

I have at least 32 photo apps, in the broadest sense, on my iPhone, and that's
nowhere near all that are out there. It's
not like conventional computer apps, with only a relative few apps that each
try to be fairly comprehensive. Many users
bounce between apps, sometimes using several on one shot, for the particular
aspects of each, and add to or subtract
from their currently used apps as the fluid app space* changes.

Unless these kids are all dunderheads, doing a quick brush-up on phone/tablet
apps and talking about them as though you
know about them is a good way to appear the fool, whether or not they are
polite enough not to mention it.

Not my generation.....

Nor mine, but they are smart and creative, at least many of them, and we do
well by them and ourselves if we pass on the
heart of our creativity, not specific technique or final forms.

One of my sons is a graphic artist who works mostly with iApps, and you might
find it hard to believe what some of them
can do. He is capable of drawing beautifully in many styles. The stuff he
prefers to do does little for me. If it came
from anyone else, I'd just skip by it. Yet some idle drawing he was doing while
having food and a beer in a bar
impressed a waitress, who told a part owner to check it out, who told a friend,
who called my son for a meeting, leading
to a second major client contract. The first also came from someone seeing some
of his work, but not quite as quirkily.

I'd wondered if his style would be commercial - now he has removed the page
from his site that solicited work, as he is
working 80 hour weeks.

The new generations have their own, different, tastes and paradigms. That's
part of what keeps the world from becoming
too boring to survive in. :-)

App Space* Moose

* Have I created a post-neo-logism?