Re: [OM] 5D II as copy device: was, Recess by USAID

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II as copy device: was, Recess by USAID
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 20:42:55 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Norcutt" <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks for the feedback.  But, based on your last comment, would you
> still be using the 5D II over the Nikon scanner if the 1394 interface
> hadn't failed?  Can the Nikon not be repaired?  Are there no parts?

For negatives, I may still use Nikon if it is in working order, since IR
dust removal is very useful for old negatives. Other than that 5D II will do
just as well.

I have not check if parts are still available. Based on my last repair in
2004, the board replacement would have costed me US$200 if it was not in
warranty. I think the cost will be $300 or more today. Since I have vitually
finished all my film scanning works, I don't want to spend money on the
scanner especially there are other alternatives (I can also use my Epson
4870).

> As a side note on slide copying quality I recently repaired an ancient
> Argus slide projector for a friend so he could complete his slide
> copying project.  I think I would have advised him otherwise at the
> start but, unknown to me, he began a project of copying his entire slide
> collection by projecting them and photographing them with his P&S
> digital.....

Projection is a method that I can never imagine but I have seen people using
this method to copy 8 and 16mm movies (ok, it still require a special
setup), otherwise it is cost inhibit to digitize old personal movies.

C.H.Ling