Re: [OM] 5D II as copy device: was, Recess by USAID

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II as copy device: was, Recess by USAID
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 07:56:07 -0400
Thanks for the feedback.  But, based on your last comment, would you
still be using the 5D II over the Nikon scanner if the 1394 interface
hadn't failed?  Can the Nikon not be repaired?  Are there no parts?

As a side note on slide copying quality I recently repaired an ancient
Argus slide projector for a friend so he could complete his slide
copying project.  I think I would have advised him otherwise at the
start but, unknown to me, he began a project of copying his entire slide
collection by projecting them and photographing them with his P&S
digital.  When he was a few slide magazines short of completing the
project the projector failed mechanically... the slide transport
mechanism wouldn't change slides.  I learned about the project when he
asked me if I knew where he could get the projector repaired.  He said
if it couldn't be repaired he'd try to buy another one like it since he
wanted to keep his slides in the old Argus magazines (a type I'd never
seen).  Since it was clearly a mechanical problem I figured I could
probably repair it and did by cleaning out dirt and grease which were
interfering with a lightweight spring and latch.

My concerns about the copying method were eliminated after I got the
projector running again and viewed some of the slides in the magazine he
had left me for testing.  A very large number of them had poor focus or
suffered from motion blur or perhaps just poor lens quality.  Many
showed a lot of color fading.  But when copied off and displayed as
modest screen size images the owners were ecstatic and very happy with
the results and the projector hung together long enough to finish the
copying.  I have to keep in mind that my standards for photographs are
not shared by most folks (including my wife).  :-)

Chuck Norcutt