Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 EBay

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 EBay
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 15:29:38 -0700
On 4/17/2013 1:26 PM, Chris Crawford wrote:
> My son ... I could move to
> Indianapolis or another area in Indiana, but there are no jobs there
> either. Fort Wayne is no worse than any other part of Indiana, and is
> better than most towns in the state, economically speaking.

Your reasons for staying in Fort Wayne are sound.

I would suggest that some of your rants about our political and economic
systems may be overly colored by the place
where you grew up and live. There are glaring flaws. There are also other parts
of the country where employment/income
conditions are much better.

I know you harp on how awful it is that people with univ. degrees, even
graduate degrees, are working at minimum wage
jobs, or out of work. Might that be that, in spite of higher education, they
aren't bright enough to go where the jobs
are? Of course, many may, like you, have other reasons that outweigh better
jobs.

No matter how much you and they may want more and better jobs there, it isn't
going to happen for the foreseeable future.

Both of my sons eschewed university degrees by choice. One has occasionally
struggled with employment, but that's had
more to do with an aversion to working for others, and leaving good jobs, than
finding work. The graphic artist, sans
degree, is working 80 hour weeks these days, to try to keep up with his
clients. The daughter-in-law without one is
doing better, job wise, than the one with a degree (fine arts), but is ten
years older, so time may tell.

> When Mack finishes school, he'll go to college, and I'm going to move
> where he decides to go to school so he can live with me and I can help him
> through school.

See if you can persuade him toward somewhere with a good economy. :-)
It might do him a world of good to experience life somewhere other than a
depressed part of the country.

> Money interests me only insofar as I need a certain amount
> to live. My son and my photography are what I live for; they're really all
> I have in life.

Nothing wrong with that, as least for a while. Although involved and interested
in my sons' lives, when they are fully
adult, and on their own, the intensity is lower. Unless the two of you plan on
batching it together until your demise?

Gratuitous Advice Moose