Re: [OM] It's Now Official

Subject: Re: [OM] It's Now Official
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:45:22 -0500
> I've been watching with great interest the saga of the new darkroom . a
> wonderful thing.    But I was wondering:  how do you manage the chemical
> smells ?   (I assume there are some .)    One of my many faults  that led to
> the termination of my first marriage was the "stench" of my basement
> darkroom and related water/cleaning areas .

That is a very good question. Granted, I haven't gotten Tina's Jobo
yet for E-6, but here are several factors:

1. For B&W processing, I mostly use Ilford chemistry which has very
low smell. Stop bath is a bit pungent, and Kodak Fixer is quite
strong, but neither of those are at all irritating to me as I find
them actually quite pleasant.

2. Large space.

3. Ventilation. I do have an air exchanger and I will also be adding
another vent to the outside.

4. Plenty of water and overall cleanliness.

5. Don't let open trays are containers sit for long. Keep them covered.

My cooking (usually with garlic and onion) is far more intrusive on my
marriage than the smell from the darkroom.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx