Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 EBay

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 35-80 EBay
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:40:02 +1200
IN the days (2000 - 2002) when Gary Reese's tests were all the rage, he
remarked to me that the once-vaunted Zuiko 35 - 70 f/3.6 delivered images
in practice indistinguishable from those of the 35 - 80 f/2.8, even though his
lens tests showed the latter to be more distinguished.

I have one of the f/3.6 lenses but haven't used it all that much, mainly
because the Zuiko 35 - 105 with limited macro ability has been so versatile
in enabling me to compose with just one lens a very wide range of subjects.
It is one of the few Zuiko lenses I have bought from new - in this case about
$585 NZ some time in the mid 1980's. After the huge amount of work I gave
the 50mm f/1.4 that came new with my first OM (an OM10, which I still
have), and me being scarcely conscious of other Zuiko lenses, I was told
about the 35 - 105 about the time I bought my OM2.  I never regretted
buying it. It transformed my photography to a newer high.

Brian Swale