Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Humerous
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:28:48 -0400
I tried traveling for the first time without a computer when I went to
Spain.  I thought several 32 GB cards would be sufficient.  I really
regretted that decision!  I couldn't download and check the photos at the
end of the day like I usually do.  Several of the 32 GB cards had problems
so I had to resort to my older 8GB ones.  I could check e-mail on my Kindle
but I couldn't post any photos to share.  I will not do that again.  If
nothing else, I would get a tiny Acer netbook computer and take it along.
 You can download photos on it, install LR to work on the photos, do e-mail
easier than on a Kindle and hook up an external storage device like the
little Seagate Free Agent Go which is smaller than a deck of cards but
holds 320 GB.  I have a little Acer that I will take next time I don't want
to carry the big laptop.

Enjoy Scotland!

Tina

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> So I'm looking at SD cards, because I'm going to need more than I have for
> the Scotland trip.
>
> Also interested in various types of dump-and-store devices to avoid having
> to tote the 17" MacBook Pro. Suggestions?
>
> I've been wandering around various sites. FWIW, Adorama has some kind of
> special going on right now, but I don't think it's all that special. That
> said, when perusing SDXC cards, I found a 64MB Transcend on Amazon. In the
> Product Features section is the following entry:
>
> Ships in Frustration Free Packaging
>
> Funny, that.
>
> I suspect I'll limit myself to 16MB or 32MB at most to avoid catastrophic
> disaster potential. But I am looking for fast write speeds because the D800
> RAW files are a bit on the cumbersome side. Just south of 40MB to be
> precise. Dump speeds to the computer or other device are less critical, but
> you don't seem to get one without the other.
>
> --Bob, who has been frustrated by an astonishing variety of packaging
>

> --

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com