Re: [OM] IMGs Feathers - on a bird

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs Feathers - on a bird
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:06:11 -0500
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Break out the T-shirts.

Yup.  Time to wax the car again. ;^P

>  > As all Oly lenses are Zuikos, I presume you mean manual focus, OM mount
> Zuikos. If that's your intent, I really see no
> > point either in buying an E-M5 or in looking forward to its successor.
> It's best qualities are really found in
> > conjunction with µ4/3 lenses, both Zuikos and some others. It's
> qualities of small size and weight and fast AF are
> > wasted on large, heavy, MF lenses, and, as many have noted, the balance
> is off with the larger OM Zuikos.
>
> I REALLY did want the OM-D to work for me, but the ergos were just not
> right. Unlike others, things like this bother me. I have no problem
> with small and light, but if you can't do the right-hand grip thingy,
> then the camera needs to balance in the upturned left hand. With
> native m43 lenses, such as the primes, the OM-D feels WONDERFUL.
> Legacy OM lenses? Not so much. Just a few ounces of additional weight
> or a touch wider body and it would be fine.

I've been goofing around with my "sub-systems" of bodies/lenses and it
occurs to me that what I like most in "lightness" is the lightness of
lenses, rather than the camera body.  The appeal of the E-M5 is the
M-Zuikos, not the body itself.  I think a mismatch of light body to heavy
lens is MUCH worse than heavy body to light lens.

I initially felt that the kit lenses introduced with the E-4xx -- in
concept -- were pretty weak tea, but they turn out to be such a pleasure to
use.  Even a month ago I might have added "despite being so slow."  At the
cost of a half stop, the 14-42 is so much daintier than my 14-54/2.8.
 These lenses are clearly on the trajectory leading to the great lenses I
am seeing flush out the OM-D/m4/3 lineup.

I am still enjoying the E-system.  I don't need any other justification
than that for wishing for a little backfill by Olympus.  However, that is
not what Olympus does. :(

Joel W.