[OM] IMGs: Thursday Wildflowers and Scenery

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Thursday Wildflowers and Scenery
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:43:58 -0400 (EDT)
     Along my hike this past Thursday I came across some interesting
wildflowers, some of which I haven't seen in years and a few that I have never
seen before.

     Desert Phlox was found everywhere, and in some instances took on the form
of small dense shrubs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644746053/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8647814965/in/photostream

     Moist areas supported a few specimens of Common Monkeyflower:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644745999/in/photostream

and in one moist area under a dense canopy of Mesquite I found my first ever
Canyon Clarkia:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644745965/in/photostream

     As I proceeded up this particular drainage (Peacock Canyon) I came across
a number of specimens of New Mexico Thistle in various stages of blooming, and
which seemed to be very popular with the insects out for their morning feeding:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644811927/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644811963/in/photostream

     At higher elevations some Ocotillo were found, and this one was in full
bloom:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644811991/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644812069/in/photostream

     My goal for this part of the hike was to get to a ridge where I could take
an unobstructed photo of a volcanic neck, which is the lava portion of a shield
volcano where the cinders and ash have been aroded away:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644746131/in/photostream

     When I got to the small clearing to take that photo, I was pleasantly
surprised to find a community of bright orange Mariposa Lilies, my first for
the season:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644746159/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8644811893/in/photostream

     That being done, I returned eastward to the main drainage (Millsite
Canyon), taking a few scenery photo along the way:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649004076/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649049286/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649003702/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649003846/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649003942/in/photostream

     From this point I followed a faint yet well marked trail that afforded a
nice view of the lower portion of Millsite Canyon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8649049240/in/photostream

     Along the way I came across some Plains Flax, my very first finding of
this flower:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8648890294/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8648890352/in/photostream

     This trail led to an unnamed canyon which affords many opportunities for
wildflower sightings, one of which was Wild Cucumber:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8645955416/in/photostream

     Just as I was about to turn back due to the late time of day, I came
across a solitary specimen of Western Spiderwort, my firsy first sighting of
this sparse yet very showy whildflower:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8645955460/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/8645955538/in/photostream

     From here it was a pleasant walk back to the pickup, being well pleased