Re: [OM] IMG: CU Building / Distortion Check

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: CU Building / Distortion Check
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 09:04:09 -0500
On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/10/2013 12:34 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> > ... I concluded this was an ideal time to check for distortion in the
> images, though, admittedly, at the long end, 54mm.  I pulled up the
> distortion grid in PSE 11, and found nothing to correct.  The lines were,
> to my eyes (can't say about Moose's eyes), perfectly square.  Though it has
> been around a while, I find this lens/camera combination to be a pleasure
> with which to work.
> >
> > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=4312
>
> The original 14-54 is relatively large and heavy because it was designed
> as a highish end, low compromise lens. Oly
> didn't want a mediocre lens, like the kit zooms on standard DSLRs, to
> prevent their new format from looking good, so
> their first kit lens was a step or two above.

To go along with that, the newly designed lenses for 4/3 beat the
competition at wide end corner sharpness as the competition was mainly
re-packaging their film AF lenses for digital.  Speed must have been a
factor too.  Looking back, it seems like making your first normal zoom a
2.8 was a heady decision, since it would have been so much easier to
introduce a smaller body with a 3.5 lens.  The 3.5 and 4.0 kit lenses that
complement the attractive size of the 400 series prove what might have been
done at the outset.  But I think Olympus made a good decision.  It's
trajectory makes sense to me.  I know Ag doesn't agree with me about that,
but Olympus somehow keeps not going out of business, and I think that must
amount to more than funky accounting.

The 14-54 is the best investment in digital equipment I ever made.  I have
a stronger sentimental attachment to some of the Z's, but the 14-54 brings
home more photons than everything else combined.  It's currently living on
my 620, where it seems a good fit, though I use a battery grip with that
body.

Joel W.