Re: [OM] IMG: Surprise! [was Droplets]

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Surprise! [was Droplets]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 14:51:02 -0700
On 4/10/2013 6:08 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Methinks me likes full frame better. Or perhaps a compromise.

I dunno. Seems to me they are two quite different images, each capable of
standing on its own. Wishy-washy Mr. In
Between doesn't appeal to me.

I do admit to a fondness for close-ups and long tele shots that
extract/enlarge/illuminate subjects we would not
normally see.

> Excellent shot either way. (But dare I say a mite sharp for my tastes? <g>)

The M.ZD 12-50 in macro mode is all about sharp. Although I did some of my
usual post work, this one looks pretty much
that sharp at 100% right out of the camera.

I do like many soft focus images, as well as many really sharp ones. It's the
ones that are neither, sharpish, but in
the wrong focal plane and/or soft in ways that just make the subject details
unclear, without adding anything visually
interesting.

I have yet to find equipment/techniques that consistently yield soft focus
images I'm pleased with. I'm very much an
admirer of early LF lenses that somehow combine fine detail with a lack of
sharp edges. But I'm not going to LF film. :-)

Some that I've thought worked have had less than stellar responses here, as
well, so I tend to keep them to myself more
than others.

Thanks for the comments.

Tacky Moose