Re: [OM] Legacy glass on e-system cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Legacy glass on e-system cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:18:23 -0700
On 4/9/2013 5:30 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I'm sure I am doing something wrong, however can't sort it out.  I'm  using
> my Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 with a Tamron 2X teleconverter (the proper one for
> the lens and when I set the camera for A everything is overexposed.  When I
>   set it for M and make the adjustments to show a good exposure, the same
> over  exposed results occur.  I'm shooting at ISO 100.  Any ideas? I  can
> monkey with it and shoot what would be a gross under exposure  and get  good
> results however shouldn't have to do it that way.

This is a well known problem. Although they were rightly criticized for not
producing an OM to 4/3 adapter promptly, Oly
did have at least one legitimate reason. When they did release it, they also
released a list of lenses and aperture
ranges they considered usable with it.

As I long ago documented here, Daryl confirmed in this thread and others have
observed, adapted lenses on Canons have
similar problems. It's also why you will find menu settings for screens in
interchangeable view screen cameras and
series 2 OM screens read incorrectly on early bodies. Reading exposure off a
(D)SLR view screen may require knowledge of
the nature of the screen, the focal length of the lens and the aperture of the
lens.

I recall that people used to make reference tables, showing EV correction
necessary for each f-stop of each lens.

I had a similar problem recently with a 600/8 lens on Canons. The meter
readings gave almost three stops of
overexposure. When I put an AF chipped adapter on this lens that reports the
focal length and aperture to the body, both
manual and auto exposure became correct.

With chipped adapters now really cheap, that's the best way to correct the
problem, if they make them for 4/3. Buy one,
set it to the focal length and max. aperture of the lens and just leave it on.

Cameras that read exposure directly off the film/sensor, from OM-2s to some
live view DSLRs to ILCs, don't have this
problem.

Adaptable Moose