Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting (now dangerous pla

Subject: Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting (now dangerous places)
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:51:43 -0400
When we lived in Chicago, I had a city map that blocked out all of the
Cabrini Green neighborhood with a caution:  Do Not Enter.  We actually got
lost in Chicago and ended up having a flat tire in Cabrini Green.  Several
guys helped Tom change the tire and cautioned us to leave as quickly as
possible and not return.

Tina

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris C wrote
> > Andrew,
> >
> > Gary is really a dangerous place. It has one of the highest murder rates
> > in the USA; for several years it had the HIGEST. The city has no middle
> > class at all, and white people are really not welcome there. I have no
> > fear of taking pictures in the worst neighborhoods in Fort Wayne (a city
> > with nearly 3 times Gary's population) or Indianapolis (A city 10 times
> > the size of Gary). I would not show my face in Gary, especially with a
> > camera.
> >
> > There is no place in Australia even close to Gary. It is far more
> > dangerous that other notorious high crime cities like Detroit, Compton,
> > Camden, and Memphis.
> > --
> > Chris Crawford
> > Fine Art Photography
> > Fort Wayne, Indiana
> > 260-437-8990
>
> In 1990 when I did my last 'round the world' trip i passed through LA to
> visit
> old friends in San Diego.
>
> I was told very firmly by old-time locals ( not my ex-pat friends) that
> there
> were many suburbs that visiting might well cost me my life. Fortunately, i
> didn't actually have the opportunity to put this to the test. They were
> emphatic.
>
> Brian Swale
> --

Tina Manley, ASMP