Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting (now dangerous pla

Subject: Re: [OM] New Mamiya 6 photo: Abandoned House awaiting (now dangerous places)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 23:38:47 +1200
Chris C wrote
> Andrew,
>
> Gary is really a dangerous place. It has one of the highest murder rates
> in the USA; for several years it had the HIGEST. The city has no middle
> class at all, and white people are really not welcome there. I have no
> fear of taking pictures in the worst neighborhoods in Fort Wayne (a city
> with nearly 3 times Gary's population) or Indianapolis (A city 10 times
> the size of Gary). I would not show my face in Gary, especially with a
> camera.
>
> There is no place in Australia even close to Gary. It is far more
> dangerous that other notorious high crime cities like Detroit, Compton,
> Camden, and Memphis.
> --
> Chris Crawford
> Fine Art Photography
> Fort Wayne, Indiana
> 260-437-8990

In 1990 when I did my last 'round the world' trip i passed through LA to visit
old friends in San Diego.

I was told very firmly by old-time locals ( not my ex-pat friends) that there
were many suburbs that visiting might well cost me my life. Fortunately, i
didn't actually have the opportunity to put this to the test. They were
emphatic.

Brian Swale