[OM] Finally decided

Subject: [OM] Finally decided
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 21:19:06 -0500
Drove over to Calumet Photo today to look at tripod heads.  Was
originally just going to do hands-on research, get some more data, and
think about it some more.

But the sales guy there was really helpful, let me try several, showed
me what he preferred, what other customers have preferred, asked about
my shooting style, etc.....

So, I decided to just go ahead and buy one from him today.  I ended up
with the house brand (Calumet) Pro-D 7048 ball head.  I still wasn't
sure about a ballhead vs. pan&tilt, but after trying one with both the
E-M5 and the E-1 mounted, I decided I liked the flexibility of the
ballhead.  The Calumet is a nice, solid metal casting with adjustable
drag and a pan lock, plus it can go vertical. Plus, it was only $140 vs.
the $240 or so for the Manfrotto I had originally been looking at.

I also bought a second QR plate for the E-1.

The only problem I have isn't one with the ballhead - on that 3rd-party
grip I bought, the brass tripod screw/socket boss is too shallow on the
socket side, so I'll have to make a shim (probably out of that grippy
shelf liner stuff) to take up the space.

Now, to go out and give it some exercise.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard