[OM] Hiding from winter in Florida

Subject: [OM] Hiding from winter in Florida
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 20:45:29 -0400
My wife, who's retired, decided to escape the Great White North and
spend a couple of months in Naples, Florida. I spent a couple of weeks
there, in late March, once work pressures subsided. The second week was
cooler (quite cold actually), with strong north winds. The beach wasn't
fun. Everything is relative however; the rest of North America had
miserable weather.

The OM-D got a bit of a workout. Most photos were taken with the 45/1.8
and the newly acquired 17/1.8, which makes a very light kit. While the
12-50 went along, it stayed in the closet. The 17mm focusses well,
except in one instance where there was nothing substantial in the
foreground (e.g., some people on a beach). In this case, the lens seemed
to focus on the foreground (say about 10 feet), with everything behind
slightly out of focus. This only happened with three shots in the same
location. I'd read about this in a couple of reviews/blogs.

Most of the bird shots were taken with the Pen 150/4 (recently serviced
by John H), some with the Pen 70/2 and two with the OM 100/2. I was
quite impressed with the 150 (occasional CA and lower contrast), though
not heavy or large it can be difficult to hand hold in a stiff breeze.
Focussing legacy lenses on birds in flight was not very successful (at
best, close but no cigar).

Aside from the bird shots, which were processed with ACR, all the others
are OOC jpegs.

The camera seemed to work fine, though the screen can be difficult to
see in bright light. I had one day when the battery got drained, even
though I didn't take a huge number of photos.

I've uploaded some photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14675507@N08/collections/72157633191066162/

Oh yes, I didn't see any other m4/3 cameras and relatively few DSLRs.

Martin