Re: [OM] IMGS: Two Marias

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGS: Two Marias
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 16:55:55 -0500
> Technical details -  This is Fuji Neopan which scans as very grainy.  I
> used DFine to reduce noise on the second one but nothing on the first.  I
> tried Neat Image and it destroyed the texture.  I'm about to decide to
> enjoy the grain.

Tina, one option that I prefer is to make a working print on
Multigrade RC paper in the darkroom and flatbed scan it. The grain
really goes away and we don't have to fight the highlights and
shadows. These working prints can be quite reasonable in size. I like
working with a 4x6" image area on a 5x7 sheet of paper. I run the
enlarger with a soft enough grade to get everything within the range
of the scanner, accounting for the contrast bloom. B&W film, even at
ISO 1600 has very little grain in the final image when the print size
is 4x6" -- I'm just gaming the system.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx