[OM] OT - Software bloat

Subject: [OM] OT - Software bloat
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 15:19:59 -0500
In the old days, software had to be tight and efficient because computers
had tiny amounts of ram, and with the stratospheric prices for upgrades,
most customers weren't likely to add that extra 8 megabytes of RAM just to
run your app.

Nowadays, when I can get 64 GIGABYTES of RAM for right around $440,
software architects figure that if the new version requires more ram to be
useful, I'll just log into Newegg and order up another pair of SO-DIMMS.

When I graduated from college (university for you "across the ponders") in
1984, RAM was $1330 per megabyte.  Now, that is enough to stuff 64gigabytes
into three separate computers.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard