Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 19:54:04 -0700
On 3/26/2013 6:02 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Correct. But you can do it with the clarity slider in ACR, too. But for best
> results, you need LR4 or CS6. Clarity slider much improved. And by much, I
> mean MUCH!

Darn, I suppose I may have to try it some day. So stuck in my ways, with
Actions set to do so many of the things I
normally do with PS.

> On Mar 25, 2013, at 3:13 PM, Piers Hemy wrote:
>
>> Agreed, Tina, but LCE does not require LR, it can be done very simply in PS.
>> On thinking about it, I suspect that the Unsharp Mask is a darkroom
>> technique carried over (with the terminolgy which is oddly meaningless for a
>> purely digital worker) into PS.

Yes. A duplicate negative was sandwiched with the original on the two sides of
a glass plate. The original, on the
bottom, was places in focus. The blurred image of the upper neg. increased the
contrast only around sharp, relatively
high contrast edges.

The thickness of the glass controlled the width of the sharpening halo.

>> To my way of thinking LCE is simply USM applied in a subtle way.

I don't quite agree. Applied differently, with much different settings,
certainly. Subtly? The effects of LCE may be far
less subtle than simple use of USM for sharpening.

The effects can be both good and bad, enhancing the apparent saturation and
clarity, with the ugly side effect of
obvious artifacts, like halos at transitions like foreground to sky. The very
wide radius that works the overall magic
creates such halos.

It also tends to extend the ends of the histogram on many images, clipping
highlights and/or shadows. I've described
recently how to avoid both problems. I imagine the Clarity sliders in the
latest ACR/LR may have been tuned to minimize
these effects? Although the blown red channel in the image that started this
thread sure looks like LCE/Clarity clipping.

Clarity In Moose