Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Poppy Bloom Redux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 21:35:16 -0700
On 3/24/2013 3:12 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> I preferred the composition with the blue flower in the foreground but, on
>> closer inspection (even at this small size), it appears that the blue flower
>> is either out of focus or blurred by motion.

The eagle eye was immediately objecting to that OOF blue flower, before any
other sense of composition, etc. could
decide what it thought about it.

> Yep, that was the vertical element to which I was alluding.  I thought
> the tilt or motion had something to do with it though the spot of color
> was very nice.
> When I open the image in Photme, I see the red channel a smidge
> clipped.  Perhaps a few more details could be coaxed out of the orange.

Exactly so! Although I didn't keep a copy of the original, I'm sure it didn't
have such clipped red channel in the oranges.

Certainly detail has clearly been lost, but more obvious at first glance is the
color shift. When one channel clips, the
balance of the three channels changes. Here, look at the difference between the
color inside and outside of the poppies.
They aren't just brighter in the parts in direct, high altitude sun, but a
different color tone. Those poppies have very
thin leaves, same color on each side, at any given point.

What's been done to add some pop/life/energy has worked very well in all other
ways. If I were doing that in PS, it
would be LCE, then Curves, but beforehand, Some pulling down of top highlights,
then a modest decrease in brightness
and, if there are shadows details to retain, lower contrast, too.

Then the LCE shouldn't clip the red highlights. Although I usually hit the
brightness/contrast on the first try, I
always check the histogram after LCE, and go back to adjust if necessary. I
assume most of this could be done in LR, but
I don't know what the equivalent sliders in LR may be.

If things are too extreme, though, I might well select all the oranges and
create a separate layer or series of layers
for treating the oranges differently than the rest of the image. That might
just work here, by simply keeping the 'pop'
processing off the poppy blooms. I've done that with success on bright
yellow-orange-red flowers in direct sun.

This is getting really close to a great image, Bob.

Orange Layered Moose