Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:23:11 -0500
All this talk of music mixing. Got home tonight and the girls were
practicing some music. Yup, had to put my grubby hands on the mixer
and dial up some effects. (I've got the equivalent of "Photoshop" for
sound). Actually learned something about "TruVerb" that I didn't know
before. I've always used it for creating an acoustical space, never
for standard reverb effects as the ones built into the AW4416 are
already pretty good. There were three controls in there that I've
never used in my life.

Anyway, I had learned of a new technique this week for creating
punchier sounds and I wanted to see if it really worked.  Yup, sure
did. Unfortunately, I don't think it's a trick that will stand up to
MP3 compression very well due to the read-ahead waveform analysis. In
essence, you create a hole in the sound just before and/or after the
sound you want to accentuate without boosting the level. Of course,
you don't do it across the entire spectrum, but make it more frequency
specific and apply it to just certain instruments. I did the 5-minute
shortcut to just prove the concept and am satisfied enough to probably
build up an entire process chain for it and save it for recall.

Hmmm... If I delay the entire mix by 10ms into the mains, I think I
could actually apply this technique into live FOH. Must test.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx