Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Ken - OT - new Bon Jovi album
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 13:55:12 -0500
> Doesn't stop me from wanting to punch the mastering engineer in the face,
> though.

Can't always blame the mastering house. We're seeing what is given to
the mastering engineer something that already is already "Finalized".
Unfortunately, everybody is using ProTools today and we're throwing
every plugin made at every song. It's hideous. I'd love to see these
guys try to do a two-channel live mix without substitutions and
side-chaining effects. (of curse, I can't live without my side-chain
effects, but I'm, uh, "mature" about using them--grin).

But, in all fairness, I'm not sure it matters much. The average
listener thinks that MP3s and YouTube videos sound great. (And, no, I
totally disagree with Ken Rockwell on Apple's compression).

My biggest grouse is the amount of "compressor pumping" were getting
on otherwise well-produced stuff by top artists. It makes me wonder if
the current trend away from near-field monitors to mid-fields has
changed the ability to discern this. And if the listening levels are
so high (I could swear that the typical mix engineer is deaf these
days) you're not going to hear it either.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx