Re: [OM] S90, LX-5, P-7000 or G10?

Subject: Re: [OM] S90, LX-5, P-7000 or G10?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:02:49 -0000
Thank you very much, Moose, for replaying the logic of the issue. I had seen
the DPR comparative review, but hadn't clearly understood the S90-S95
relationship.

I couldn't agree more that the P-7000 is a no hoper (perhaps that explains
why it was so cheap), but your encapsulation of the pros/cons of the G10 is
a point well taken. Not for me.

Perhaps the most useful phrase to take away is to identify "where my real,
as opposed to intellectual, priorities lie". As with your G11, I have a
Finepix F70EXR with me almost always, BUT I find it extremely difficult to
focus at arm's length and to see clearly what is on the screen. Thus,
although the picture quality is quite remarkable (in 6MP pixel-binning mode,
not full resolution - further proof that the G10 is the wrong way to go), it
usually stays in my pocket, and a viewfinder is strongly indicated.

I spoke to a friend who has used an LX-3, but now has an X10. And a used X10
popped up at an attractive price.  28-112mm, f/2-2.8, 2/3" sensor, optical
zoom VF, with the EXR imaging engine I am familiar with. A worthy successor
to the F10?

Thanks again, Moose, and Chris too, for helpful insights.

Piers