Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new orchid photos and random complaining
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:51:00 -0500
On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/18/2013 9:25 PM, DZDub wrote:
>
> > Optical formulas are not really my interest.  I just put the key in and
> drive.
>
> Not a great interest of mine, either. I only look when someone claims
> something is the same as something else. And I
> also think it's a shame that all the special effort Oly put into the
> higher end 4/3 lenses can't just be adapted
> directly to the new mount.

I wonder what is appealing to Olympus in keeping a 40-150, not to mention a
14-42, in moving from one platform to another.  There is surely a "glint of
recognition" factor.  My 14-42 (which is I think the latest version made
for the E system) is even better in terms of sheer IQ than the 40-150, but
I always take the DZ 14-54 instead unless I just must keep the set as light
as possible.  I find the transition come s at an awkward area of focal
length.  The 12-50 and 40-150 among the mFT lenses would probably provide a
seamless transition for me into mFT.

>> The 14-150 is my main lens. It gets significantly closer than the 40-150s
> >> and I've been quite happy with IQ from it. If
> >> I were going to a show like that, I'd also have the 12-50 along for it's
> >> excellent Macro function.

The apostrophe police have been summoned to haul you off. <g>

I took the DZ 50/2 to the show, but I didn't use it.  Something about the
size of the flowers, which fill the frame fairly easily, and the crowd.  If
I had the place to myself, the 50 would have seen some action, but probably
not much.  I like the 50-200 for exactly the same reasons you like the
14-150 at the long end, while the 40-150 does the same thing for me and is
lighter.  The 50-200 is sharper and has creamier bokeh, but I think that
unless I need the extra reach, which I don't in this situation, it is
staying home need year.

Part of the fun of this occasion is grabbing what one can without being
obstreperous.  Many people take photos, but when a camera like E-620 with a
grip and DZ 50-200 comes out, people back off if you're not a little bit
accommodating.  The Canon people must have been tipped off that the show
was a bit more lean this year.  They didn't show up while I was there.

Joel W.