Re: [OM] Kiev 4

Subject: Re: [OM] Kiev 4
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 15:16:35 -0000
Hmm, isn't that strange, I was compiling an answer before I got to read your
reference to the grammarians. It seems you know us too well. Joel (although
I do belive you belong with the circle too).

"To resile" is indeed a verb, intransitive, and in that sense I would have
to say that "to be resilient" derives from the verb, rather than vice versa
as you suggest.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/resile concurs
with your view that it is not (directly) from Classical Latin (you'll note I
have offered the American English entry - the British English is identical),
and also with your etymology.

Meanwhile, back to the Kiev, for those who want to lay to rest the
speculation as to whether it's a stolen design, made on stolen machine
tools, with stolen parts, I can recommend Larry Gubas visit report to Jena
for the Zeiss Historica journal which is freely available at:
http://www.zeisshistorica.org/sample.html

In short, the designs were legally obtained from Carl Zeiss, the machine
tools were made to order for export to Kiev, and were initially set up in
Saalfeld (not Dresden, not Jena) to demonstrate that they were fully
functional, before being dismantled and reinstalled in Kiev. Some cameras
were assembled in Saalfeld from the demonstration run, and some parts which
were left over from the demonstration run were used in Kiev.

Piers