Re: [OM] new gallery, trees

Subject: Re: [OM] new gallery, trees
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 14:27:05 -0800
On 3/8/2013 3:55 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> Moose wrote
>> On 3/7/2013 4:59 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
>>> I like them all. But, that's me, as a professional tree person.
>>> Is that a Sequoiadendron giganteum?
>> Don't you mean a Wellingtonian? :-)
> I never use common names unless I have no alternative. They are too easily
> misinterpreted, and I have no idea how universal that name is.
> In any case it should be "Wellingtonia"   AFAIK

You are probably right about the spelling. I was just poking a little fun at
the British imperialist tendency to rename,
and thus take ownership, in a sense, of people and things from other places.

If you saw the BBC series about great trees of Britain, you might understand
why I felt the need. :-)

> Thanks for the confirmation.

Slam dunk, from here.

Hoops Analogy Moose