Re: [OM] New photos up

Subject: Re: [OM] New photos up
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 12:56:45 -0600
> That's true, but fiber can't carry merchandise.  And there is still a lot
> of dark fiber in this country that was installed but hasn't been turned
> on...

Depends on where. Fiber routes that are within towns and built during
the CLEC boom with intention to replace the copper local loop are
pretty much wasted, but any town-to-town routes are pretty full. I'm
throwing a HUGE amount of DWDM gear into the network to get 40X as
much traffic over a single pair of fibers than without. (Actually more
than that if I combine it with other technologies. We're seeing
single-pair fiber solutions way up in the many terrabits. We wouldn't
be doing that if there was dark fiber available.

Bandwidth growth seems out of control, but it really is pretty much
tracking Moore's Law.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx