Re: [OM] IMG: Multi-tasking

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Multi-tasking
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:49:29 -0500
I dunno about Moose but I just use the noise reduction panel in Camera
Raw... third one in marked with triangles.  From the PS help file.  Note
the part about zooming in to at least 100% when adjusting the noise (and
sharpening) sliders.  Just noise covered here.  Other noise reduction
software like Noise Ninja would work too.
Reduce noise

The Noise Reduction section of the Detail tab has controls for reducing
image noise, the extraneous visible artifacts that degrade image
quality. Image noise includes luminance (grayscale) noise, which makes
an image look grainy, and chroma (color) noise, which is visible as
colored artifacts in the image. Photos taken with high ISO speeds or
less-sophisticated digital cameras can have noticeable noise.

Note:

When making noise reduction adjustments, first zoom in on the preview
image to at least 100% to see the noise reduction previewed.

Adjusting the Color and Color Detail sliders reduces chroma noise while
preserving color detail (lower right).

Note:

If the Luminance Detail, Luminance Contrast, and Color Detail sliders
are dimmed, click the Update To Current Process (2012) button  in the
lower-right corner of the image.

Luminance

Reduces luminance noise.

Luminance Detail

Controls the luminance noise threshold. Useful for noisy photos. Higher
values preserve more detail but can produce noisier results. Lower
values produce cleaner results but also remove some detail.

Luminance Contrast

Controls the luminance contrast. Useful for noisy photos. Higher values
preserve contrast but can produce noisy blotches or mottling. Lower
values produce smoother results but can also have less contrast.

Color

Reduces color noise.

Color Detail

Controls the color noise threshold. Higher values protect thin, detailed
color edges but can result in color specking. Lower values remove color
speckles but can result in color bleeding.

For video tutorials about reducing noise in Camera Raw, see:

     Better noise reduction in Photoshop® CS5 by Matt Kloskowski

     Lens correction and noise reduction with Adobe® Camera Raw by
Russell Brown

     Photoshop CS5 - Camera Raw 6.0 by Justin Seeley

Chuck Norcutt