Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the global warming component to the recent northea

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the global warming component to the recent northeast blizzard is unknown at this point
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 12:35:40 -0500
I agree and am quite happy to accept your correction... provided that
you will agree that the unknown component may be zero or close to it.
The reason I believe it is probably close to zero is (not for this
single storm, of course) that there appears to be no warming component
(whatever the cause) evident in either the US or global history of
tropical cyclones.  One might be able to make a temperature case for
this particular storm either on intensity or moisture content based on a
warmer gulf current up the east coast.  But even that is fraught with
problems.  This particular storm, of course, is very notable for
monstrous economic damage.  But economic damages in heavily populated
and poorly sited areas is hardly a proxy for storm intensity or climate
change.

Chuck Norcutt