Re: [OM] IMG: Supper

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Supper
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 20:34:01 -0600
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM, DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think your conclusion is all that matters to me really.  Once a story
> takes over -- I love looking at the man and his children as there is so
> much going on there -- I no longer think about grading the assignment.
>  Photoshop can improve an image technically but adds nothing of substance
> if the story is not there.   Not saying every photograph should have a
> story, but when it does it just does.

Responding to myself with my own rendition:

Pretty much all I would like to be different is accomplished with the
highlight/shadow tool.  Overall treatment as follows:

Shadow
A 10%
W 62%
R 30
Highlight
A 38%
W 63%
R 30
Mid contrast +20

That done, I wanted to bring up the man's face further.  Created two layers
and used H/S to bring up shadows on the faces.  Flipped the layers and used
the eraser at 10% to lighten areas, and here and there, up to 30% opacity.

Happy to keep the grain and most of the flare through the slats.  I don't
agree with my own statement that PS "adds nothing of substance".  I simply
mean that PS cannot improve an image so as to create a story if the story
is not already there.  I think PS is wonderful and I can't imagine living
without it.

Joel W.