Re: [OM] (OM) Landscapes seen by my camera

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Landscapes seen by my camera
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 04:11:11 +1300
Chris wrote

> Thanks, Brian, it's certainly a beautiful landscape.  Is that autumn on
> the way?
>
> I'm not that keen on pictures of roads with vehicles, even if there are
> picturesque trees alongside, but the others show the landscape off well.
>
> Chris
>
> On 16 Feb 2013, at 06:09, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=114&g2_page=2

Thanks Chris.

You need to remember that these scenes are highly selected; it's not all like
those.

These are shots from a year ago - all April 2012. I was killing time by sorting
through images for my 'my favourites' folder and these were among them. I
decided to share.

In general, I agree with your comment about cars in landscape shots, but in
this case not only was it nearly impossible to exclude them, but since they
were so far in the distance, I thought they would give a useful sense of
scale.
I have been trying to get photogenic shots of the road approach to
Alexandra because it is *so* different from most townships in New Zealand,
and not to be expected in arid landscapes such as ours here. It's not easy.

Those trees were planted, I am reliably informed, do minimise the formation
of sand-dunes which used to block that road. If that's true, and I suspect it
is, then the strategy worked. Problem now is that new-comers to the district
see these trees and decide they don't like pines, and want them removed ....

The pines include radiata pine (California), ponderosa pine ( N. Am.)
corsican pine (Mediterranean), and cultivars of black ( and probably other)
poplar species. The good autumn colour doesn't last long. Miss it, and it's
gone for yet another year ...   Sometimes the vital period may last for only an
hour or two.

Brian Swale