Re: [OM] Family portrait

Subject: Re: [OM] Family portrait
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:21:10 -0600
On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 2:02 PM, philippe.amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>wrote:

> The only Jag is this one
>

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/UK+tour+2008/2008+Ecosse-1050986.jpg.html
>
> That one has the long hood blister - that should be one of the V12's.
Nice.

> or the MkII
>
> http://gomotors.net/Jaguar/Jaguar-Mark-II-34-Liter.html
>
> Also nice.

I love all of the older Jags, including the XK120 and XK150, the XKSS, the
D-type, etc.  I desperately wanted to have a job that paid enough so I
could afford a new XJ-S back in the late 80's/early 90's - still love that
car.

I live about a half-mile from what used to be Tom Walkinshaw Racing's IMSA
shop in Valparaiso.  Loved visiting the shop.  Became friends with the team
manager and a couple of the guys.  When they left IMSA, I ended up with a
Bud Light and a Castrol driver's suit, one of each brand mecanic's shirts,
and one Bud Light pit crew suit.  I also got a cap from Price Cobb.  When
they were going to go racing as a Porsche team at Daytona, I was visiting
the shop and saw the large fiberglass leaping cat statue that had been in
the lobby.  I asked Tony, the team manager, for a phone call if he ever
decided to get rid of it - in a joking manner.  He looked at me and said,
"Why don't you just take it now?"  So, it's in my office at home.

When they prepped and raced the fleet of XJ-220's for that "Fast Masters"
series on ESPN back in the late 90's, Tony arranged for me to have press
credentials for the series, and got me a ride in the special press car
(that one still had two seats) on the oval at Indianapolis Raceway Park.
First ride was with Johnny Rutherford, second ride was with Davy Jones.
Major thrill.  I was hoping they'd just let me keep one when the series was
over rather than ship it back to England, but sadly, Tony's generosity
didn't reach quite that far... :-)

However, he did give me a set of the decals that they used when they
converted the cars from road cars to racing cars.  So, that was nice.

> The rest is just makeshift uninspired vehicles IMHO

Of course, your opinion may vary
> :-)

My opinion does vary.  And yours is wrong.

:-)

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard