Re: [OM] storm

Subject: Re: [OM] storm
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 15:57:19 -0500
I've been talking to some of the old timers, and while we all know how old
timers like to tell tales (because so many of us _are_ old timers), they
consensus is that Maine is just not getting pounded with winter storms like
back in the old days, being the forties and fifties and such. To a degree,
that's true (no pun intended). Winters now are far milder than they were when
we moved up here 20 years ago. My heat bill will attest to it. That said, I'm
not going into the global warming thing. Having taken too many geology and
paleobotany classes in college, I know about cycles and such.

I also know it's very difficult to argue about man's contribution once you've
flown from Augusta, GA to Portland, ME, after dark, in the copilot's seat of a
private jet flying at 21,000 feet. It's a freaking light show almost from
horizon to horizon, south to north, with a few breaks here and there. If what
they say is true, and we use half our energy on keeping buildings warm/cool and
lit, then we could save one hell of a lot of energy by turning off a whole
bunch of lights.

Just saying Bob