Re: [OM] E-M5 lens hoods and remote shutter release

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 lens hoods and remote shutter release
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 19:57:48 -0800
On 2/4/2013 4:09 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I've just received the 2 lens hoods pictured here for
> the 12-50 (rectangular)
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-55B-Lens-Hood-for-Olympus-M-Zuiko-Digital-ED-9-18mm-f-4-0-5-6-Lens-/260855044409?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160>

Other than the name screened on , they look like what I have.

> and the 14-150 (tulip)
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-61C-Lens-Hood-for-Olympus-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-Zuiko-ED-Zoom-/150773855466?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160>

I have an actual Oly. It wasn't a great deal more than the JJC, and I liked the
idea of the Oly name on my most used lens.

> Both hoods were bought from the same seller in Jan 13 and arrived today
> Feb/4.  Both hoods are bayonet mounts and not threaded as some appear to
> be. They seem sturdy enough to do the job and fit well.  The tulip
> shaped hood for the 14-150 is reversible.  If the rectangular
> shaped hood for the 12-50 is reversible I've yet to figure it out.  It
> appears that the groove pattern is non-symmetrical and won't fit in
> reverse.

That is true of mine, as well. The tubular hoods for the 40-150 and 75-300 are
reversible, and rather closely fit over
the barrels, saving a lot of space.

> I'll have to spend some time studying it to see if a bit of
> reshaping with a sharp knife will make it reversible.  No big deal if
> it's not.  It's not very deep and doesn't add much to the length of the
> lens.

I didn't even remember if they reversed. I have two, for 12-50 and 9-18. The
hood is an awkward shape for storage, esp.
on the 12-50, and reversed wouldn't help much, the way it sticks out from the
slim bodies.

> I'm happy with my purchases given a grand total of $17.20 for the
> pair.
>
> I also received this radio remote trigger today which was also ordered
> on Jan 13.
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/RW-221-Wireless-Shutter-Remote-for-OLYMPUS-EP3-E-PL3-E-PL2-E-PM1-XZ1-EM5-SP810-/150791591639?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160>.
>    I haven't used it yet other than to test it at short range.  Seems to
> work fine and also came with batteries.

Same brand and model as mine. I haven't tested it for great distance. works at
20' or so.

Remote, Hooded Moose