Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:41:55 -0600
>  Which is basically what we have here.  Sorry to hear that Europe has
> descended into the dysfunction of US transportation.  Still better than
> nothing at all.

The concept of "intermodal transportation" seems to be totally lost on
people. We have train stations, airports and bus terminals. All in
different locations and not interconnected.

A good example of the lunacy, there is an Amtrack train that goes from
Chicago to the west. As it passes through Iowa, it misses all of the
major city centers and stops at places like Osceola and Creston.
Osceola? REALLY? Not Des Moines, Not Iowa City, but OSCEOLA????

So is there any way to get from Des Moines to Osceola on public
transportation?  Riiiiiigghhht.

In reality, from an infrastructure-cost perspective, air travel is a
pure bargain. Airports are pretty expensive to build and maintain, but
the air-routes themselves cost peanuts. Only disadvantage is the
placement of pollutants up at the top of the troposphere.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx