Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]

Subject: Re: [OM] The Seamy Underbelly [and still HDR question]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:34:47 -0800
On 1/30/2013 3:19 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks a bunch for thinking about this, Moose. Yes, it is the G9 which
> doesn't owe me a penny at this point.
>
> Come to think about the sidecar files, I had processed the files first
> so PS had them there--perhaps that is way the geometric lens distortion
> was fixed in the HDR merge from the cr2 files.

Almost certainly so.

> I tried to somewhat mimic the DR required in the desert by shooting out the
> window with deep shadows in a room in the foreground. If I saved the details
> in the ighlights there was some
> noticeable loss of detail in the shadows with the best exposure--w/o hdr type
> of processing
> at least for that small sensor.

Nice test, but perhaps overly tough? I did say "most" shots, and my experience
in the desert is that the patches of deep
shade are small and fine detail in them generally unimportant to the image. Big
shaded areas, like shadows of big rocks,
etc., are at least partially lit by reflected light.

> I could not detect much difference
> merging the cr2 files to HDR or the 16bit acr processed ones kept open
> in PS . I have no clue if the
> geometric lens aberration correction will still be done if I hadn't
> pre-processed the files before--perhaps you hit the nail on the head
> with that.

Easy to test; move, rename or erase an xml file, and open the image.

> I am constantly reminded how much there is to figure out in PS.

Complexity in the pursuit of capability is no vice?

Aphoristic Moose