[OM] OM Zuiko 85mm f2

Subject: [OM] OM Zuiko 85mm f2
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 19:25:00 -0500 (EST)
I think this must be the patent of interest

<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=
%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=23&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=coma
.ABTX.&s2=olympus.ASNM.&OS=ABST/coma+AND+AN/olympus&RS=ABST/coma+AND+AN/o
lympus>
Abstract

Yep, that must be it and presumptively the original reference to coma
was in regards to the floating
elements.  Though there appears to be some truth to the coma statement,
it is an odd way of viewing the floating element function. Thanks for
locating that.

  The newer 5/4 version appears to be only different with a single
element  replacing a cemented doublet.  Optical construction of two
versions shown here:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/85mm.htm

Still largely an Oly  significant refinement of an old  ernostar F2
style.

http://taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Biotar_en.html

Various very old designs seem to resurface in some capacity despite
supercomputing capability to aid optical construction with aberration
corrections..
Seems nature only provides so many permutations to efficiently correct
aberrations.

I think AF may have a very nice  modern Cooke triplet lens --with all
the newest glass choices there are enough degrees of freedom to to
quite a nice job with 3 elements.
I haven't seen much written about some of the very complex MFT
offerings, but suspect they are no exception.

Olde is new, Mike