Re: [OM] Classic Retro Lens Hoods

Subject: Re: [OM] Classic Retro Lens Hoods
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:14:01 -0500
I always try to have a hood on when shooting.  It's as much protection
for the front of the lens as protection from reflections and flare.
As to the "protective" UV filter I gave that up many years ago.  I'm not
sure who it was (probably Thomas Tomosy)
<http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Maintenance-Repair-Book-Comprehensive/dp/0936262869/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1359245122&sr=1-1&keywords=thomas+tomosy>

(and other similar camera repair books) who said that hoods are an
effective protector of lenses but that filters are more often the cause
of damage rather than the protector.  Even if a filter is hit on the rim
it's likely that the glass will shatter and (being only a millimeter or
two from the front element) the glass shards from the shattered filter
become what damages the glass or coatings.  And even a good filter has
at least some slight negative effect on image quality.  (Remember Gary
Reese's lens tests with and without filters?)  Anyhow my rule has long
been there is no filter installed unless it's actually doing something
for filtering light.

Chuck Norcutt