Re: [OM] Steer Wrestling

Subject: Re: [OM] Steer Wrestling
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 10:51:28 -0500 (EST)
I agree, really nice work. I especially like the one where the cowboy's
butt is completely off the ground. Shows the power of the steer.

I actually did calf roping. In my early 20s  when while single, I  lived
with my sister and bro in law on their horse farm here in NJ, and we all  had
either a quarter horse or a standardbred. Calfs were hard enough for this
city boy, I can't imagine wrestling the calf's daddy. I recall how
well-trained  the horses needed to be, they made accurate split-second
decisions and
movements. Things moved so fast, they would act on their own, without a lot
of  input from us riders  . They were an even more important aspect of the
drill than the cowboy's skills were.

My bro in law had been a cowboy in Pennsylvania in his youth and a  bit
after the his Air Force stint and was a trainer of roping horses. Poor  guy
handled, loaded on aircraft, and sprayed agent orange in Vietnam, he  got sick
and hung in there for 17 years before dying.  We waged a long  battle to get
his name included on the Vietnam Memorial, but the government  refused,
telling us we had to prove his illness and death was as a result of him
getting ill in Vietnam. They even came up with a stupid possible explanation
for
his illness  that the local enemy poisoned the airmen's rice supply.

- George

>  Shot some steer wrestling today.  Not sure I would want this as a hobby
for
> myself.
>
>  http://leowesson.com/home/Steer.html
Catching action like that, with  everything in focus the way you
intended, at the right moment, in the  right part of the frame, is really
tough.  Nice  work.