Re: [OM] Focus peaking, was: +1 for Big_IS and his micro 4/3 adapter

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus peaking, was: +1 for Big_IS and his micro 4/3 adapter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:15:16 -0800
On 1/23/2013 5:46 AM, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
> Did you try this? <http://www.43rumors.com/how-to-fake-an-e-m5-peaking-mode/
>
> It really works, although probably not as good as the real thing in Sony
> NEXs.

I've seen posts about it, and briefly looked at the links. Tonight, I gave it a
bit of a try.

> In the comments there is the suggestion to put it in a 'mysetting', which
> you can then assing to a function button. That way, it is only active while
> pressing the button.

I've not grokked the Mysettings as yet. They only work when holding a button
down? That seems awkward to me.

I had the impression that setting to the filter took some paying attention
time. But I see that the Art Mode holds its
last setting, even after the camera is turned off. I'm used to spinning the
Mode dial three clicks in one direction for
video. I could do the same in the other direction for Art Filters, and the one
I want is right there, ready to go.

I have AF/MF on Fn2; setting MF on and off is something I do regularly, so
that's no problem. That gives me time with
hands and fingers free to set focus, then take the shot or spin back and shoot.

> My e-m5 is configured this way at the moment, and it works. Not sure I
> prefer it over image magnification though.

I almost only use image mag. on a tripod. This looks like it might be useful
hand held. With a new, fast, shallow DOF
lens, it could be quite useful for accurate focal plane placement.

Thanks!

Shallow Arty Moose