Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived

Subject: Re: [OM] The E-M5 has arrived
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 22:23:21 -0800
On 1/19/2013 12:40 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, Jim.  I think you're correct about new stuff pushing out the old
> (along with some of the new).

It seems more subtle and complex to me. It seems more like the filing and
access system gets more and more loaded;
perhaps more needs to be in slower access, long term storage.

Example. A few months ago, I drove past the turn off to the area where an old
friend and sometime employee lived. "Oh,
that's where Bill lived." But not a clue what his last name was. I submitted a
request to long term storage retrieval. I
can't remember how long it was, but at some point, his last name just popped up.

Doesn't work for everything, but I've been pleased with how often it works for
me. Just "submit a request", no pressure,
no hurry, and most of the time, I get the info, sometimes in a couple of
minutes, sometimes longer. Still wondering if I
will ever remember another, more recent person's last name, though. Some stuff
does seem to have got lost.

That's for simple facts. I've read a theory that what we store of more complex
memories is a precis, and that when we
"remember" that meeting, family gathering, etc., we just retrieve an outline of
high points and feelings, and recreate a
fuller "memory".

Not hard to believe. I recall family gatherings where all of us talked about
long ago events. Much of the detail varied
a great deal among us.

Remember? Moose