Re: [OM] Olympus Lithium Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Lithium Batteries
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:38:34 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> >     Since we're on the subject of lithium batteries, has anyone had any
> > experience with the
> > after-market BLM-1 batteries for the E-3, E-500, E-510, E-520, etc?
> >

> Yes.  I used 2 different types with no problem.  They lasted as long as the
> Olympus ones.  I always
> use aftermarket batteries as spares.

     Thank you.  I have three originals and I'm always anticipating that they
will fail at some time.  I make use of the technique learned with NiCd where
you let the battery discharge as much as possible before recharging.  We used
this technique with cordless tools to extend the life of the NiCd batteries and
I've been using it with NMH batteries and now the lithium ions.  If you didn't
let the NiCd batteries fully discharge they would develop oxide nodules on the
plates and eventually short out, and at $30 for a Makita 9.6V battery things
can get pretty expensive.

Chris