Re: [OM] [OT] Speeding tolerances

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Speeding tolerances
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 23:36:49 +1100
My previous employer had GPS units in trucks reporting back to a central
server.  In some instances the GPS units reported obviously inaccurate
speeds (fairly often in excess of 150kph, one I noted @275kph !).  The GPS
units generally appeared to behave ok and these spurious speeds would only
be registered for a few samples over a day.  The problem was that you could
never be really certain of the speed, if the unit registered 100kph over the
legal limit you could say it was spurious, but what if it was 10kph over the
limit, spurious or actually speeding ?  I presume too that if the GPS units
were registering spurious high speeds they probably were registering
spurious low speeds also.

...Wayne