Re: [OM] I ordered my E-M5 today but...

Subject: Re: [OM] I ordered my E-M5 today but...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 14:08:58 -0800
On 1/14/2013 12:22 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I ordered my (silver) E-M5 today

Hey, congrats. I think you are going to like it and have fun.

> I also ordered the $50 15mm "body cap lens" which is a fixed aperture,
> manual focus lens meant to be left on the body as is any body cap.

Aye, and there's the rub, for me. My body caps mostly sit in a drawer, not on a
body. Any camera I'm actively using has
a lens on it. I can't see the point of body with cap and lens with cap sitting
in a bag, waiting to be united to take a pic.

> The advantage is you can pull the body out and fire off a shot without
> installing another lens

Could apply to the E-PL1 back-up body in the side pocket of the bag, if I ever
need it in a hurry. But after that
instant shot or two, the main lens from the E-M5 would go on it.

An interesting idea, and at least a bit cute, but hard as I try, I have trouble
imagining when I would actually use one.

> or just have a practically flush 30mm equivalent
> walk-around lens.  Not sure how that's going to work out but I'll have a
> spare body cap if nothing else.  :-)

I am interested in how it works for you. I've been wondering if it has any
special qualities, ie flaws that make for
interesting images.

> I also placed an order with Amazon for this clone battery
> <http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Olympus-Full-Decoded-Rechargeable-E-M5/dp/B00A743A06/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=12PAYDK1BNR07&coliid=I23HOTHJHUUKNO>

Yes, that looks good. B&H has a Pearstone charger compatible with both Oly
batteries and their own - but not the batteries.

> and these lens hoods from ebay.
> This says 9-18 but the LH-55B should be the same for the 12-50.
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/260855044409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649>

Yes, the two are the same. I have both lenses and identical LH-55B hoods for
them.

> This says 14-42 but the LH-61C should be the same for the 14-150
> <http://www.ebay.com/itm/150773855466?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649>

Yup, my 14-150 wears an LH-61C hood, my only genuine Oly one.

> When ordering Olympus lens hoods pay close attention to the suffix on
> the part number.  There are multiple LH-55x and LH-61x hoods but they
> are very different from each other based on the suffix (or lack thereof).

LH means, guess what, Lens Hood, the number is the filter diameter and the
final letter seems to be just the order in
which they were designed/produced. That makes sense, as they design so that one
hood fits two or more lenses.

> My parts are in stock at B&H but haven't shipped yet.  I chose free
> (slow) shipping to save $20.  Guess I can't say "I can't wait".  I'm
> hoping to get the camera and lenses by Friday but probably not until
> Monday or possibly even Tuesday depending on when the order finally goes
> out the door.

Their free shipping is excruciatingly slow to the left coast.

Back In Sync Moose